Between the mountains and ocean, Greater Vancouver and the Lower Mainland see a lot of moisture but your home should not. With changes in our climate, mid-winter rains or sudden thaws are increasing the needs for and importance of flood monitoring in the wintertime. At Arpel Security Systems, we offer residential flood monitoring for your peace of mind. Prevention is always better than clean up and we offer these suggestions to help get you prevention minded.
There are a variety of reasons, and means that facilitate water entering and flooding your home. There are bad habits like putting grease or objects (diapers, plastic bags, pantyhose, paper towels, hygiene products, cat litter) down drains or toilets – you should not. There are the age and maintenance needs of a home including routine cleaning or replacing old and damaged sewer lines. Make sure your storm sump is functioning properly as well as all backwater valves. There are also the areas around your home – sweep up leaves for composting to prevent overland flooding from plugged drains and don’t forget the catch basins or street drains which can cause overland flooding as well. These should be checked periodically in summer, each autumn, and after each snowfall in winter.
The following tips will help you to prevent the most common sources of water damage:
1. Self-Check Home – Every six months look for signs of water damage on all sinks, tubs, and showers. In winter, ensure that the home is heated to prevent pipes from freezing.
2. Maintain Hot Water Tanks – Follow the manufacturer’s maintenance recommendations.
3. Appliance Hoses – Check for kinks and soft/weak spots and replace at first sign of damage.
4. Turn Off Water – When you leave the home for more than a day. Shut off the water supply and drain your outside faucet to prevent freezing in winter.
5. Clean Drains – Video pipe inspect sewer and all perimeter drains once every five years and clean if necessary.
6. Roof Leaks – Sun and damage can deteriorate roofing materials.
7. Install Water Sensors – Sensors can sound an alarm or shut the water off to the dwelling.
One of the most common insurance claims across Greater Vancouver and Lower Mainland area is from water damage in the home. At Arpel Security Systems, we will install monitored water detection sensors in strategic areas of your home that will alert our central station in the event of a leak. Arpel Security Systems is one of the leading security companies that focuses on the local community within Surrey, Burnaby, Langley and the rest of the Greater Vancouver and Lower Mainland area.
For more information on how our flood detection devices work, contact us today. We have over 40 years of experience in home and commercial alarm security services with a number of countless satisfied clients.