Incidences of house fires increase dramatically over the holidays. Just about everything to do with the season’s festivities — including candles, Christmas lights, and cooking — is a potential fire hazard. Having an alarm system installed and monitored by a trusted security company is a great start, but there are more ways to keep your home and your family safe. Here are a few basic tips outlined below:
- Be Mindful of Candles – Holiday candles are a great way to enhance the cozy atmosphere of the season, but their presence in your home shouldn’t be taken lightly. It is best never to leave candles unattended and to blow them out when you leave the room. Quality, sturdy candle holders are also a must.
- Cook with Care – The holidays are a time when friends and family often come together around delicious, home-cooked meals. Forgetting that the stove is on is a common problem for people, especially when entertaining guests in your home. Furthermore, it is advisable never to leave frying, grilling, or broiling unattended. Make sure your <ahref=” fire1″=”>smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working and turned on when you’re cooking to ensure your necessary peace of mind.
- Keep Lights Clear – Christmas lights produce heat, which means that they pose a fire risk if they come into contact with highly flammable items. Make sure that you keep all of your Christmas lights clear and that you don’t smother them with other decorations.
- Play it Safe with Extension Cords – The holidays are the most popular time for the use of extension cords. The most important thing to remember about extension cords is that they need to be kept unobstructed, so don’t run them underneath carpets. Also, if you are going to be using an extension cord outside, then make sure that it was clearly labeled as an outdoor cord.
- Have Properly Functioning Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms – No matter how careful you are with candles, lights, and cooking over the holidays, you won’t be able to prevent every mishap. In the event that something does go wrong, it is crucial to have properly functioning smoke and carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home. Arpel Security Systems has been providing alarm systems and residential security in the Vancouver and Langley areas for over 40 years. We’re proud to offer a full range of home security options, including fire and carbon monoxide detection that are compliant with fire and safety regulations in Vancouver. Contact us today to find out more about keeping your home and your family safe from fire hazards.