How to keep your home secure during the day
In movies and TV, it seems like everything sinister just so happens to occur after the sun goes down. Unfortunately, this trope doesn’t translate over to the real world, leaving our nonfictional selves with no other choice but to exercise constant vigilance – dark and stormy night or otherwise. This is especially true when it comes to your home, which should be a safe haven at all times. Even in Greater Vancouver where crime is relatively low, precautionary measures like installing a residential security system remains more relevant than ever.
When the Cat’s Away…
More often than not, your home remains vacant during the day unless a member of your household works nights. Chirping birds and sunny skies may inspire a false sense of security, but weekdays can leave your home deceptively vulnerable to ill-intentioned individuals. There is no better time for an intruder to strike other than a Monday to Friday morning when the majority of the neighborhood is busy elsewhere.
What You Can Do
As a security company located right here in the Greater Vancouver & Lower Mainland area, our team at Arpel Security Systems knows first-hand what to watch for when it comes to protecting your home during the day. Here are a few insider tips on how to prevent break-ins while you’re busy taking care of your daily to-dos.
- Lock your windows and doors. A significant chunk of reported burglaries does not involve any kind of forced entry. Be especially vigilant about securing your basement windows, as well as the door between your home and garage; these are both common entry spots for intruders. If you own a pet, pet doors should also be locked during the day.
- Unclutter your entrance. Trees and shrubs look great around your front door but make sure that your landscaping doesn’t double as a hiding spot for someone trying to break in. Ideally, arrange your plants and bushes in a way that leaves your entire entrance visible to the street.
- Secure your garage. Never leave your garage door opener inside a car parked in your driveway, especially if you aren’t home.
- No spare key under the flowerpot. Avoid unnecessary risks by handing over a spare key in-person to the caregiver who is taking care of your home while you’re away.
- Invest in a residential security system. It’s a proven fact that having a home security system is the number one way to deter burglars. At Arpel Security Systems & Services, we offer an extensive line of state-of-the-art solutions to protect your most precious assets. From a basic home alarm with dependable, 24-hour monitoring, to our high-tech Total Connect system that integrates seamlessly with your mobile devices, we’re sure to have a quality product that’s perfectly tailored to your unique home protection needs.
Experience the peace of mind that you deserve, all day, every day. For the best residential security solutions in the Greater & Lower Mainland Vancouver, give us a call to speak with one of our experts today!